Saturday, September 1, 2012

Hooray Kale!

I've been thinking a lot over the past few months about all the things I put in my body.  As recently as 2 years ago, I considered myself a bonafide fast food addict.  The steak quesadilla at Taco Bell and a double cheeseburger meal at McDonalds were my two biggest weaknesses (and I still get the occasional craving) but Shane and I have been on a health kick and I've never felt better!  We eat much more fresh produce and less greasy fast food and it has made all the difference in our energy levels and general feeling good-ness.

Well, I've been hearing and reading a lot about the amazing nutritional benefits of kale so I wanted to give it a try.... Which is exactly what I have been doing in the kitchen for the last hour or two and I'm officially converted to this green god of a vegetable!

I hereby give you the recipes that Shane and I have both vowed will be permanent fixtures in our meal rotations:


Sautéed Kale with Garlic, Onions and Lemon (serves 4), courtesy of FoodFit

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup diced onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4 cups kale, washed, ribs removed
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
juice of 1 lemon

1. Heat the olive oil in a 10" skillet over medium-low heat.
2. Add the onions and cook until tender but not brown, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
3. Add the kale, salt and pepper and toss with the olive oil and garlic until the kale begins to wilt, about 2 minutes. Squeeze the lemon juice over the mixture. Remove from the skillet and serve.


Kale Chips

1 head kale, washed, ribs removed
olive oil
kosher salt
ground black pepper
lemon juice
Any other spice you like! I've seen recipes with paprika, garlic salt (yummm), red pepper flakes, etc.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the kale in a large bowl and dress very lightly with olive oil so the leaves are barely coated. Season with salt and pepper. Spread the leaves out across roasting sheet so they don't overlap.  Roast in the oven until crispy but still green, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and dress with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.


Green Smoothie

bunch of kale, washed, ribs removed
kiwi
green grapes
green apple
plain yogurt or ice (depending on your desired texture)
protein powder (if you're so inclined)

Coarsely chop up your produce and toss it in the blender!  Add more or less of each fruit or veggie to taste (kale is a bit bitter, so don't go overboard if you want to be able to stomach your beverage).

No comments:

Post a Comment